"Petitions, e-mails, letters and telegrams show officials that there are people who know and care about what happens to persecuted Christians inside their countries. Some conditions may be improved as a result. In some cases, we have seen prisoners released early after their case received international attention. If the authorities think no one cares, the Christians receive more harassment. Do not underestimate the power of your letter."
Today, let's apply Hebrews 13:3, "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body."
From Voice of the Martyrs ministry Prisoner Alert, please write the President of Pakistan to request the release of Imran Ghafur, a Christian falsely accused of burning the Quran. (From this link, click on the button "Petition Official" on the left, then choose "President and Chief Executive" also on the left. Details of his case are also at this link.
Please follow these guidelines from Voice of the Martyrs:
- Be brief.
- Use the correct honorific. In the case of foreign Presidents, "Your Excellency"
- Be yourself.
- Be polite. You are representing Jesus Christ.
- Do not write about politics or criticize governments.
- State a general concern for persecuted believers.
- State a specific concern for one or more prisoners.
Imran Ghafur from Punjab province.
(b) State why you are concerned
(c) State what you would like to see done (released, given medical treatment, etc.).
- Remember to thank them in advance for their positive actions.
- Refrain from quoting Bible verses or preaching.
- Do NOT mention VOM or other organizations as it may be used against the prisoner.